From: wraeth <wraeth@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] difficulties with lvm2+systemd+grub2
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 01:21:55
1 On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 07:43:18PM +0100, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
2 > Basically my changes in my grub config were already correct, however I
3 > completely forgot, that, since I wrote my own init script, arg's like
4 > "root" and "init" simply weren't used by my script...
5 > If you look at my script, I only check the cmdline for "lvm", so
6 > setting "init" or "root" haven't any effect at all :D
7
8 Glad you got this part of it sorted! I know how both relieving and
9 frustrating it can be to find such a simple thing as the solution - it
10 took me two weeks to realise I was calling 'mpc' and not 'mpd' in my
11 startup script, explaining why MPD was never running... :-/
12
13 > Regarding dracut: Even though I got it to work, it also just bootet
14 > openrc and not systemd. Don't know why and I didn't digged further after
15 > it worked with my own script.
16
17 You could try inspecting dmesg to try and determine why it isn't loading
18 your chosen init. It could be something as simple as a typo, or if the
19 filesystem (if you have /usr on a separate partition) isn't available at
20 the time it's trying to launch init.
21
22 > Regarding LVM:
23 > As mentioned systemd can't mount my lvm partitions from fstab. Those lvm
24 > partitions should be mounted by UUID, but it seems like systemd can't
25 > find them, even though there are available afterwards (under
26 > /dev/vg0/...).
27
28 I've found dracut initrd's can be a little finicky with LVM volumes.
29 With that in mind, here's the kernel cmdline for one of my systems wich
30 uses LUKS->LVM->EXT4 for it's root partition. Note that it has explicit
31 arguments for *all* LV's and not just root.
32
33 BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.17.1-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/mapper/vg1-root ro
34 rd.luks.uuid=luks-3f93b8aa-cf8b-4312-85d6-d45cffa59780
35 rd.lvm.lv=vg1/swap rd.lvm.lv=vg1/root resume=/dev/mapper/vg1-swap
36 rootflags=rw,noatime,data=ordered rootfstype=ext4 quiet
37
38 > If I comment them out in /etc/fstab (they are not important) systemd
39 > boots just fine. I've also set "use_lvmetad = 1" in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf as
40 > mentioned at the systemd wiki.
41
42 This is a dracut-ism, in that if a static filesystem (as denoted by it's
43 presence in /etc/fstab) is unmountable, it will assume there are
44 problems and will drop to recovery. The idea of recovery is to identify
45 your root partition with a symlink to the device node, after which you
46 *should* be able to continue.
47
48 ln -s /dev/<root_device> /dev/root
49
50 See [1] for more. That being said, it may continue to drop to recovery -
51 I've found the dracut recovery console to be a little temperamental with
52 things like that...
53
54 [1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Dracut_problems
55