From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3.7.1 SATA errors
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 12:14:05
1 Am 23.12.2012 20:23, schrieb felix@×××××××.com:
2 >
3 > I have since had some time to explore this and find it related to the
4 > kernel; 3.6.10 works fine, while 3.7.1 fails. If I reset during the
5 > 3.7.1 boot while it is spewing its error messages, but before the
6 > kernel ultimately panics, I can reboot with 3.6.10, but if 3.7.1 goes
7 > all the way to the panic, I have to power off and wait a few minutes
8 > before a 3.6.10 reboot is succesful. This is repeatable, but I
9 > haven't bothered to see how long the system must be off; "a few
10 > minutes" is enough.
11 >
12 > There are two error messages during the 3.7.1 boot, repeated for all
13 > SATA drives:
14 >
15 > ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x2f) ata5.00: failed to set xfermode
16 > (err_mask=0x40)
19 The code that prints these messages has not been changed since 2011 so I
20 guess it is a driver issue. You never posted which driver you use
21 exactly and your kernel config enables all. Therefore I cannot look further.
22
23 The best way to find out what's wrong is to bisect the kernel, i.e.
24 finding the exact commit that caused the issue to appear.
25
26 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect
27
28 Unfortunately, there have been 1545 commits between 3.6 and 3.7. With
29 blind bisection you need 39 kernels to find the issue. Maybe `git log`
30 can give you a hint which commits might be relevant.
31
32 Regards,
33 Florian Philipp