From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] core i5
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:06:43
1 Am 23.06.2010 03:43, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > I'm writing you from an Intel Core i5-661 Clarksdale machine using the
3 > built in graphics. I've been fairly impressed with the processor
4 > itself, not very impressed with the stock cooling they supplied, and
5 > in general find the graphics at least acceptable for my needs as a
6 > desktop machine.
7
8 That's one of my questions: I currently use a passive Nvidia GeForce
9 9600 GT here so to be able to play some games now and then (quite good
10 performance compared to my former card but chosen for being quiet and
11 cool while I work).
12
13 I don't know if the builtin graphics will allow gaming on the same
14 level, I should go for some benchmark results. But this is definitely
15 not important ... just a nice to have feature maybe.
16
17 > The i5-661 cores are actually the fastest cores I have, and I've also
18 > got an i7-920 and an i7-980x. The i5-661 is only 2 cores/4 threads,
19 > but the cores are clocked at a higher rate than the other machine and
20 > on simple non-multi-threaded apps outperform the other machines.
21 > However when I'm running something compute intensive I've had the
22 > machine over heat using stock cooling so get a good CPU fan. (Yeah,
23 > the i7-980x is pretty nice also as it has 12 threads to play with and
24 > builds KDE from source in a little over an hour.)
25
26 So you run "make -j13" or something?
27
28 > This machine has 3 old hard drives in it as well as 2 sound cards and
29 > a 1394 card and along with the two LCD monitors it still draws only
30 > about 150W so I'm pretty happy with the cost of running it day to day.
31 >
32 > I've not used it at all for Myth since I moved mostly to DirecTV but I
33 > suspect it wouldn't do badly assuming there's no issues with the Intel
34 > Graphics driver. I cannot help you there.
35
36 I only run mythfrontend here sometimes, mostly in a window on one of the
37 two monitors. I got used to compiz, even for daily work, but that
38 shouldn't be much load for the intel graphics.
39
40 What I would like to speed up is updating various VMs, I have quite some
41 linuxes in VMs, some of them gentoo-based, and running "emerge -avuDN
42 world" on them could always need some speedup ;-)
43
44 Thanks, Stefan