From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encryption questions
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 07:57:13
1 On Monday, December 10, 2018 12:46:07 AM CET Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > As some may know, I'm making some changes and upgrades to my puter. One
5 > thing I'm considering, encryption of a select directory/mount point/file
6 > system. One thought I have, create a mount point named say "Encrypted"
7 > and put anything I don't want widely seen or hacked in that directory.
8 > That would likely be on it's own partition or LVM setup. I would likely
9 > keep other things open. Example, I may have /home on a partition of
10 > it's own but then have the encrypted directory mounted on
11 > /home/dale/Desktop/Encrypted. I could even let that be my Documents
12 > directory as well. I'm not to worried about browser history etc. Plus,
13 > I could log into KDE and not have to access the encrypted stuff if it is
14 > not needed. I don't need encryption to check the weather. lol
15 >
16 > How I do that isn't a big deal really. My main question is this. If I
17 > go to the trouble of doing this, would I be *really* protected? Is
18 > there a easily used encryption tool that isn't easily hacked? Also,
19 > when I login, I'd like to be able to type in password etc and it be
20 > available from that point on, unless I do something to lock it up
21 > again. Reason, I may even put some of my videos on that. I watch TV
22 > from that a lot.
23 >
24 > Also, how hard would it be to do the same to my backups, since having a
25 > open set of backups would render the encrypted part just available
26 > elsewhere?
27 >
28 > While I get some of how encryption works, I don't keep up with it on a
29 > weekly or even monthly basis. I just see the occasional articles on
30 > it. I'd rather ask and get input from someone who uses and/or is more
31 > familiar with this. In other words, if it is worthless and someone
32 > knows it is, then let me know. If one tool is better/easier/etc than
33 > another, I'd like to know that as well.
34
35 I have not read the full thread, but missed mention of a few things, so here
36 is my take on the whole thing:
37
38 - Full disk encryption is only necessary if the machine runs the risk of being
39 stolen. (physical access)
40 - Encryption will not protect against remote hacks as the OS can access the
41 files when the storage is decrypted
42 - When using encryption, ensure swap is encrypted as well as there is always a
43 risk the encryption keys can be stored on swap
44
45 Personally, I don't encrypt my desktop as the physical security of my house is
46 adequate. My laptop uses full disk encryption, only the boot-partition is not
47 encrypted. The decryption key is password-encrypted and stored inside the
48 kernel image.
49 For clarity, my disk layout on laptop is as follows:
50 physical disk - partition - LUKS-encryption - LVM - ..... (The rest is the
51 same as what you have)
54 Joost