From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] package masked perl left and right... what now??
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:50:39
1 After the better part of an hour spent manually unmasking inexplicably newly-masked dependencies of installed packages, I finally:
2
3 grep dev-perl /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
4
5 ... so I could !@#$%^&*()_ get on with an updated system.
6
7 So, did anyone on this list have forewarning that gentoo's perl maintainability was about to be trashed? Or like, did I miss some new portage feature that would have solved this for me?
8
9 (I emailed the dev apparently responsible for this borkage directly, but he hasn't replied, yet.)
10
11 I've often wondered (more and more often now it seems) where I can get a heads up that the devs are about to cause major pain. Is there such a beast?
12
13 Never do I see an announcement on the -dev list like, "hey guys, check it out: next week I'm gonna make perl users maintaining Gentoo servers wish they used python instead", or something useful like this. '-)
14
15 Any thoughts or insight to this from the list?
16
17 Cheers,
22 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
23 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org