From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How many ways are there for a user to increase their permissions?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:15:07
1 I'm trying to work out how many ways there are to increase the permissions of a user.
2
3 1: su -: Needs root password and you need to be in the group "wheel".
4 2: sudo: You need to be in the group "wheel" or in the /etc/sudoers file, using your own user password.
5 I'm not counting gksu and gksudo they are just front ends.
6 3: sudoedit: This is the best way to edit text files, it uses the same rules as sudo.
7
8 4: Linux "Capabilities" or "caps": Which increases permissions on a per-file basis. e.g. removing SUID from ping and adding CAP_NET_RAW to ping.
9 This is much safer than running the whole program as root. http://linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities
10
11 5: Policykit: (Give this a read http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/introduction.html )
12 6: Polkit: Is the new name for Policykit, it's a higher version and they do not talk to each other.
13 If you run a mixed architecture there is a good chance you will have both.
14
15 7: Access Control Lists: (ACL) Very easy to setup and forget because Nautilus and others do not list the ACL settings.
16 A remote windows user configuring a samba share could let more people read and write to it then Nautilus shows.
17
18 8: SUID and SGID: One of the fastest ways to open up a security hole in your system.
19
20 9: Groups: Lots of groups, but not much information on what permissions you get. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/List_of_Groups
21 Udev and Fuse use group settings right?
22
23 Did I miss any way of increasing your rights? (not counting security holes)
24
25 I see that the stable net-misc/iputils (ping) does not use capabilities. Is this included in the unstable version, or is it planned for the future?
26 I wish there was a way to run gedit with sudoedit, is there?
27 I think Polkit support for gedit is planned, does anyone know the bug number?
28
29 Right now my system has all of the above but not Linux "capabilities". I'm having very hard time working out:
30 Which users can do what and how.
31 Which groups can do what and how.
32 Which files can do what and who can run them.
33 How the user's status affects what the program can do.
34
35 Is there an all-in-one program for keeping track of all this or do I have to write one?
36
37 It's very easy for users to set their home folder to other, read, write and execute. It's not just silly users doing that, but any program running with the users rights.
38 There was a buggy program in Ubuntu which set your home folder to other rwx, I never worked out which one was doing that.
39 A fast work around was to set the user's home folder to owner root and make sure that group was set to rwx.
40 Is that safe?
41
42 I'm very happy Gentoo user but I find that configuring things can get very messy.