From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:15:56
1 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > * Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > > and install cdda2wav suid root.
6 >
7 > Giving the user full access to the cdrom device isnt't enough ?
8 > Actually, I really dislike to whole idea of suid root.
9 >
10 > > Then call:
11 > >
12 > > cdda2wav -e -N -B
13 > >
14 > > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
15 >
16 > cdd2wav is directly writing to the audio device ?
17 > IMHO not good idea: you're bound to the devices cdda2wav supports,
18 > requires it to be ported to each single audio interface you want
19 > to use (not just platform specifics, but also things like audio
20 > servers, clients which want non-standard config, ... ):(
21
22 I recomment you to read the cdda2wav man page to understand how it is working.
23
24 Jörg
27 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
28 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)