From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Abut smb:// aware tools
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 04:01:01
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 10/02/2009 01:56 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Do we have tools other than Konqueror that are aware of smb/UNK
5 >> addressing?
6 >>
7 >> Before you answer please note that:
8 >> I know about ssh
9 >> I know about fuse
10 >> I know about mount -tcifs
11 >>
12 >> I'd really like to be able to use UNK addressing from the cmd line.
13 >>
14 >> cd //host/share
15 >
16 > Well, it sounds like you know more about the subject than I do, but
17 > do you know about smbmount that comes as part of samba? Seems to me
18 > like that's what you're asking for.
19
20 I had forgotten about smbmount but that too is not the same as being
21 able to cd around with cd //host/share
22 smbmount adds another layer of complexity... and something more to
23 umount or maintain in mounted state... would also add a few more
24 characters to each address.
25
26 > BTW, what is UNK addressing?
27
28 Sorry ...s/K/C/ Universal Naming Convention... I always think of the
29 sound `UNK' when I think about that style of address...(//host/share),
30 it just slipped into print, but I guess I can't hide the fact that I am
31 largely braindead too.