From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:33:03
1 In short: What is the difference between pycharm-community and
2 pycharm-professional Gentoo packages.
3
4 Not essential details are given below.
5
6 Some time ago a friend of mine asked me to install Ubuntu to his quite
7 an old computer:
8 Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2160 processor (without multithreading), only
9 2GB of RAM and
10 the motherboard does not allow more, etc.
11
12 In spite of my hate of Ubuntu, I installed for him Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
13 and, as a side effect,
14 have found out that it became much, much worse than Ubuntu 10.04 LST,
15 that I used
16 before switching to Gentoo after the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LST (with
17 Unity), even worse
18 than Ubuntu 12.04 LST that forced me to switch out of Ubuntu. (I would
19 even say that
20 Ubuntu 18.04 LST became a real piece of bull shit. Sorry for my French.)
21
22 Yesterday, the said friend of mine called to me and informed me that
23 his Ubuntu 18.04 LST
24 is broken (after he somehow tried to deinstall Python3 because he
25 needed only Python2 :).
26
27 "apt-get install python" and "apt-get install python3" commands did not helped.
28
29 After that I said to him that he has the following two options:
30 1) install Ubuntu 18.04 himself with my on-call help,
31 2) bring me his old computer again and allow me to install there Gentoo,
32 as I don't want to see Ubuntu 18.04 any more.
33
34 He has chosen the latter.
35
36 So, now I have to install for him basic Gentoo and some other programs
37 including pycharm, vpn, skype4linux, etc.
38
39 Doing this, I have to choose between pycharm-community and
40 pycharm-professional but I do now nothing about them.
41
42 So, I decided to ask if somebody in this mailing list can tell me what
43 is the difference between pycharm-community and pycharm-professional
44 Gentoo packages.
45
46 Thank you in advance.