From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:25:08
1 hasufell wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > If we support disabling all useflags on package level (and we do),
6 > then we support disabling all on global level as well. All
7 > _unexpected_ breakage that occurs due to that are ebuild bugs that
8 > have incorrect dependencies or missing REQUIRED_USE constraints.
9 >
10 > Defaults are just a usability thing, nothing more.
11
12 Amen. The notion that a particular USE flag combination is 'wrong' for a
13 package is nonsensical. The notion that a user is culpable for QA issues
14 that are solely the preserve of the maintainer even the more so. Any
15 such issues should either be fixed or the options afforded to the user
16 redacted if the maintainer is unwilling or incapable of supporting them.
17 Scolding those users who have the audacity to configure Gentoo to serve
18 their requirements is a distraction, to put it politely.
19
20 --Kerin