From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new machine : mail problem : solved
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 05:21:28
1 Yet another obscure + unexpected bump to trip over.
2
3 I carefully copied .fetchmailrc from the other machine
4 -- I'm now using the new one to send this -- made sure
5 it was owned by 'purslow' (user) & had read permissions. Not enough !
6
7 Could I get error msgs ? How could I find out what it was doing ?
8 Google showed msgs from others with this type of problem
9 & what they were doing was running 'fetchmail -v'.
10 I hadn't thought that I could run it myself (slightly red face).
11
12 RTFM : front + centre it says to try 'fetchmail -vvv --nodetach --nosyslog'.
13 That immediately told me the very non-obvious but crucial information :
14 " ~/.fetchmail must have no more permissions than 700". Whyever ?
15
16 So 'chmod', wait till the next 5-min point at which the script runs
17 & yes, there are my test msgs from the older machine waiting for me !
18
19 This is yet another example of what was described in a recent thread :
20 Gentoo may need a lot of time to install & some time to maintain
21 -- like training, then exercising a dog, perhaps -- ,
22 but the problems are rarely > 1 layer deep & there's lots of help.
23
24 HTH others.
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca