From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:56:15
1 On 31 July 2013, at 19:09, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Stroller
4 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On 31 July 2013, at 18:23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>> ...
8 >>> Whinging about systemd binaries being installed is valid, but whinging
9 >>> about some data files is not. Anyone who does is letting their OCD show
10 >>> in ways they really should be keeping private.
11 >>
12 >> Hmmmn, it's a bit freaking weird - if I'm understanding correctly some of the statements made here about systemd - that there will be files installed to /etc/init.d/ that don't actually do anything.
13 >
14 > If you use systemd, all the files installed in /etc/init.d (except
15 > functions.sh) don't actually do nothing.
16
17 Right, which is a bit freakin' odd, because on most every previous distro and other *nix system, that's where the system administrator goes to start and stop services.
18
19 If they're not used, in this case, I don't think they should be installed.
20
21 /etc/init.d is wholly different from /usr/share/package-name/examples
22
23 There are many other directories on the system where it's no problem to have some idle, unused, "wasted" files, but /etc/init.d has long been an important directory.
24
25 Stroller.