From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: eno1 became back eth0
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 23:17:38
1 On 2019-11-14 08:21, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2019-11-13, Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr> wrote:
3 >
4 >> PS: Old interface names were way more guessable than the new ones (eth0
5 >> used to work 99% of time). I really don’t understand why someone woke a
6 >> morning a though “we should randomise this, it’s too much stable”.
7 >
8 > The way it was explained to me was that the old way fell down in some
9 > situations with multiple interfaces. Interfaces were named in the
10 > order they were disovered by the kernel during startup. For some
11 > sorts of NICs (e.g. PCI) the discovery order is repeatible, so no
12 > problems.
13 >
14 > However, for some sorts of interfaces (e.g. USB attached devices), the
15 > discovery order isn't always repeatable. The new scheme was
16 > implemented to make sure than every time you reboot you get interface
17 > names that corresponded to the same physical RJ45 jacks they did the
18 > last time.
21 I've also had interfaces randomly rename themselves (more than once.)
22 The second time it happened I forced the old behaviour and haven't had
23 any problems since... that was like six years ago now? (Or maybe more...)
24
25 Dan