From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] shell ouput which file descriptor
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:13:18
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 04/09/2010 08:19 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> This is not a question about cvs... its only used for example.
5 >>
6 >> I'm puzzled about a change in what I see when I run
7 >> cvs -n update 2> /dev/null
8 >>
9 >> I've apparently lost the ability to remove stder from output.
10 >>
11 >> I used that command to trim out file descriptor 2 which used to leave
12 >> a list of any changed files in the repo on the console, for a very
13 >> long time.
16 >> Suddenly there is no difference with:
17 >>
18 >> cvs -n update 2> /dev/null
19 >> cvs -n update
20 >>
21 >> The stuff on stderr still shows in the ouput either way.
22 >>
23 >> Further;
24 >> cvs -n update 2>er (redirect stder to ./er)
25 >>
26 >> Doesn't put anything in ./er
27 >>
28 >> However cvs -n update 1>out (redirect stdout to ./out)
29 >>
30 >> Does catch the output I'm after and leave out stderr. (as one would
31 >> expect)
32 >>
33 >> So, again, apparently I've lost the ability to trim out stderr with a
34 >> redirect to /dev/null (cvs -n update 2> /dev/null)
35 >>
36 >> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
37 >>
38 >> The only thing I've been tinkering with is evaluating the
39 >> /etc/DIR_COLORS file. I switched from evaluating a custom version to
40 >> evaluating the default version.
41 >
42 > I have no helpful advice, but I would try a couple of simple experiments:
43 >
44 > I have this in my home directory because I'm color blind:
45 > -rw-r--r-- 1 wa1ter users 0 2007-08-27 18:29 .dir_colors
46 >
47 > $cat nonexistantfile
48 > cat: nonexistantfile: No such file or directory
49 >
50 > $cat nonexistantfile 2> /tmp/testfile
51 > $
52 >
53 > $cat /tmp/testfile
54 > cat: nonexistantfile: No such file or directory
55
56 Thanks...
57
58 > Are you running cvs as root, or user, or ...?
59
60 I was running cvs as user, and now trying your tests... it appears the
61 trouble has stopped... doesn't occur now in cvs cmds either.
62
63 There was a reboot in between, so may never now what was going on.
64
65 Prior to rebooting I had tried to get a fresh env by ssh
66 user@localhost from an xterm. Hoping to rule out some oddball env
67 problem, but the file descriptor problem persisted. However it has
68 apparently not survived a reboot.