From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use two graphics cards with one display
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 21:22:31
1 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Jun 9, 2016 4:25 PM, "lee" <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > Use Bumblebee. It is the FOSS version of Optimus.
8 >>
9 >> That seems to be for laptops having peculiar hardware.
12 > Nope. Works regardless.
13
14 If that works with two NVIDIA cards, the PCI bus might not be fast
15 enough. Even if it's fast enough, I have no idea how it would perform,
16 considering that it's possible (even likely) that not both PCI slots for
17 the graphics cards are connected to the same CPU --- however they do
18 that on boards that have two, it might not be an issue at all or perform
19 much worse than using a single card.
20
21 Do you have such a setup in use?
24 And the docs say:
27 "WARNING:You must install the Nvidia binaries in a way that will not
28 break Mesa’s LibGL, it is needed for 3D acceleration on the Intel
29 card. This means that on most distros you will need a Bumblebee specific
30 package for it to run, the stock packages on most cases will break
31 LibGL."[1]
34 I do not have an Intel card. And what are these Optimus cards they
35 mention?
36
37 Besides, IIUC this is intended for /switching between/ different
38 cards. I do not want to switch between cards but /use both of them at
39 the same time/. There's no point in switching between them, and
40 apparently that would be more a disadvantage than anything else due to
41 the overhead involved.
44 [1]: https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/wiki/Supported-drivers