From: Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Emerging virtual/editor installs nano - why?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:54:31
1 On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:15:59PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@×××.net> wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > > I would say you don't. Just emerge the package you want (as you already
5 > > mentioned).
6 >
7 > Okay. And why am I able to preselect the mta the way I
8 > demonstrated?
9
10 Because virtual/mta is not a real package. It's just some sort of alias
11 that can be change through files in a profile.
12
13 The new-style virtuals OTOH are real packages that RDEPEND upon the
14 packages that provide the functionality. They are not aliases that can
15 be changed through files in your profile.
16
17 Cheers, Emil
20 Emil Beinroth
21 83059 Kolbermoor | Germany
22
23 "You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons,
24 sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water,
25 and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are
26 the ones that need help?"
27 -- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith