From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:05:18
1 On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 9:33 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, I never use a boot pool, I boot with ext4 and just do the root
4 > on zfs. But, I was more interested in some external media, so I am
5 > looking at that Linux Recovery file system to see if I can get that
6 > working, or if there is a way to add zfs to the sysresc cd, I might do
7 > that.
10 Yeah, if I had to use a separate boot partition of any sort, I
11 probably wouldn't make it zfs. There really isn't any benefit from
12 using it for that.
13
14 It might be FAT32 if I'm using EFI/etc, or it might be ext4.
15
16 If I'm concerned about mirroring for something like that I could just
17 rsync it once a day to zfs. We're talking about a tiny amount of data
18 that doesn't change much, and if you use a week-old kernel after a
19 restore it isn't the end of the world.
20
21 What I probably should get around to is grokking EFI+linux. I'm not
22 sure what the cleanest solution for that is these days - I've never
23 actually set up EFI on linux, mostly because I'm not sure what the
24 best practice is. I know at a high level that a few options exist. I
25 want a final experience that is closer to grub2 than
26 syslinux/lilo/etc, to use an analogy (not saying it should actually
27 use grub).
30 Rich