From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'wifi' USE flag in firefox
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:03:34
1 On 19 April 2010 15:43, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Any idea what the 'wifi' USE flag actually does in
4 >> www-client/mozilla-firefox?  Is it merely to know when the machine is
5 >> on/off line and therefore try to connect to the Internet?
6 >
7 > It enables Necko WiFi (and depends on wireless-tools). What does that
8 > mean specifically? I don't know, but perhaps it is related to this:
9 >
10 > "Introduced in Gecko 1.9.1: Code with UniversalXPConnect privileges
11 > can monitor the list of available WiFi access points to obtain
12 > information about them including their SSID, MAC address, and signal
13 > strength. This capability was introduced primarily to allow WiFi-based
14 > location services to be used by geolocation services."
15
16 Hmm Mozilla's netlib. I had a look at the slides and bits of the
17 documentation on the Mozilla website, but I am still not really clear
18 what it does, or why it is needed.
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick