From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] son of can't mount vfat part.
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:25:43
1 maxim wexler schreef:
2 >
3 > pindar@reflex ~ $ grep FAT /usr/src/linux/.config #
4 > CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL is not set # DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
5 > CONFIG_FAT_FS=y CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
6 > CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
9 > reflex pindar # mount -t fat32 /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
10 > filesystem type 'fat32'
11 >
12 > reflex pindar # mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
13 > filesystem type 'vfat'
14 >
15 > reflex pindar # mount -t auto /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
16 > filesystem type 'vfat'
17 >
18 > reflex pindar # mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown filesystem
19 > type 'vfat'
22 Now, what I notice about this is the "unknown file system".
23
24 Since you have the vfat module compiled into the kernel, it seems to me
25 that this can only mean that the module is not loaded (as it might not
26 be if a FAT32 filesystem did not need to be mounted at boot, because it
27 was not detected, and/or the partition is not set to autoload at boot
28 via /etc/fstab, and/or the module is not set to autoload at boot via
29 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.*).
30
31 What happens if you modprobe vfat before attempting to mount?
32
33 If this works, at least you know what the problem is (and that it's not
34 that the filesystem just *says* it's FAT32 but actually isn't, which is
35 another possible cause of such an issue-- I've had that happen to me,
36 just not with fat32). If it's just that the module needs to be loaded,
37 then put it in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.*, so you don't have to
38 worry about it anymore.
39
40 If you get an error when attempting to modprobe, or after modprobing
41 mounting still returns an error, then we've at least got more
42 information (in the case of an error), or eliminated one possible cause
43 (if mounting still fails after successfully modprobing the module).
44
45 HTH,
46 Holly
47 --