From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba wants to downgrade my python....
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:59:49
1 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > On 09/16/12 19:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 19:32:11 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I suppose I'll have to have a look at the
6 >>> ebuild to try and work out why this thingy wants Python, any python, in
7 >>> the first place.
8 >>
9 >> Portage is written in Python, which raises the question of why you didn't
10 >> have python:2 installed in the first place. The samba ebuild doesn't
11 >> include a dependency on python, so you'll need to do and emerge -t to see
12 >> which packages do pull it in, but I suspect it is required by an eclass
13 >> inherited by one of the ebuilds.
14 >>
15 >> If so, Samba itself does not need Python to do it's job, but portage
16 >> needs Python in order to install Samba. that would make it a build
17 >> dependency which could be uninstalled after Samba was merged, but I'd be
18 >> nervous about removing Python from any Gentoo system that uses portage.
19 >>
20 > Neil,
21 > Looks like you've hit the nail on the head. The media machine has just
22 > had a new install of Gentoo done and according to "eselect python list",
23 > I only have V3.2. Nothing has been removed, just a few things added so
24 > it looks like the default "install" only does V3.2. Looks like I'll have
25 > to put up with it, the compile time on the little machine is a killer,
26 > and let the install happen.
27
28 Portage works with either instance of python and its ebuild has
29 "python2" and "python3" USE flags. Alas, the build system of
30 sys-libs/talloc seems to require python:2.6 or python:2.7. I would
31 suggest adding dev-lang/python:2.7 to the world file so as to protect it
32 from being reaped by emerge --depclean, only to be required again for
33 future builds.
34
35 Incidentally, one of the first things I do on a Gentoo system is mask
36 >=dev-lang/python-3.0 and rebuild affected packages against python-2.7.
37 I have yet to find a single instance where having both installed is
38 helpful. Even major applications such as Django still don't support Py3k.
39
40 Regarding the increase in compilation time, you could get a head start
41 by grabbing a binary package from tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org.
42
43 Cheers,
44
45 --Kerin