From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Corrupt xD card with photos
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:53:58
1 Hi All,
2
3 I was handed what seems to be a corrupt xD flash card to extract the last
4 photo from it. When the WinXP system at work coughed and died on it
5 (couldn't read it) I thought that my Linux would do better. Anyhow, I've
6 inserted it into my Fuji camera and this is what dmesg shows:
7
8 ===================================================
9 usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
10 usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
11 scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
12 usb-storage: device found at 4
13 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
14 Vendor: FUJIFILM Model: USB-DRIVEUNIT Rev: 1.00
15 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
16 SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
17 sda: Write Protect is off
18 sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
19 sda: assuming drive cache: write through
20 SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
21 sda: Write Protect is off
22 sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
23 sda: assuming drive cache: write through
24 sda: unknown partition table
25 sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
26 sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
27 usb-storage: device scan complete
28 ====================================================
29
30 Mount fails:
31 ====================================================
32 $ mount /dev/sda
33 mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
34 missing codepage or other error
35 In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
36 dmesg | tail or so
37 ====================================================
38
39 and dmesg then shows:
40 ====================================================
41 FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
42 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
43 FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
44 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
45 ====================================================
46
47 This is what fdisk shows:
48 ====================================================
49 # fdisk /dev/sda
50 Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF
51 disklabel
52 Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
53 until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
54 content won't be recoverable.
55
56 Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)
57
58 Command (m for help): p
59
60 Disk /dev/sda: 131 MB, 131072000 bytes
61 5 heads, 50 sectors/track, 1024 cylinders
62 Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 = 128000 bytes
63
64 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
65
66 Command (m for help):
67
69
70 Is there a Linux (or even M$Windoze?) way of me recovering the last photo,
71 that doesn't involve reconstructing raw data with a hexeditor?
72 --
73 Regards,
74 Mick