From: Ophidian <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: how do I kick a MAC address off my hostapd WiFi network?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:37:19
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:07:19 -0600
3 > Ted Ozolins <ted1@×××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> In Canada you can
6 >> download/upload all the music you want legally,( we've paid for it ten
7 >> times over via a levy against all recording media)
8 >
9 > huh? would you do just a little elaborating?
10
11 In Canada there is a levy/tax on all blank media (CD's, DVD's, it may be
12 extended to flash media and ipods in the near future). This money is
13 then distributed to artists to compensate them for money lost due to
14 copying of their music under the Private Copying provision of the
15 Copyright Act. There have been a number of court rulings that strongly
16 indicate uploading/downloading of music in Canada falls under this
17 provision, although to my knowledge there has not been a direct
18 challenge of this fact as of yet (I suspect mostly because the CRIA
19 knows they would lose).
20
21 More info:
22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Canada
23 http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2238/125/
24 http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-42/bo-ga:l_VIII//en#anchorbo-ga:l_VIII
25
26 (NOTE: This last link is to the Private Copying section of the
27 Copyright Act)
28
29 Ophi
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list