From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amarok sound engine
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:27:01
1 On 1/24/06, Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I emerged amarok, great gui to manage collection, but sound output is bumpy
5 > with xine engine. gstreamer apears not to work at all. I tried to tweak
6 > settings and xine config with no luck. However, playing adio directly in xine
7 > output is clear.
8 > What is your expierence, any sugestion where to look.
9
10 My experience is that the xine engine is _by far_ the best sounding
11 engine available in amarok.
12
13 It might be interesting to diff
14 ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/amarok/xine-config with ~/.xine/config,
15 particularly for the alsa devices in use. Actually, I think you can
16 just copy the ~/.xine/config to the amarok directory to make sure you
17 are using the same xine configuration for both.
18
19 > i have alsa on
20 > 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237
21 > AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
22
23 The exact model of the controller chip might be useful here. From the
24 .confs in /usr/share/alsa/cards, I gather that the 8233 and 8237 do
25 hardware mixing, while the 8233A does not, and enables dmix/dsnoop by
26 default.
27
28 If you have the 8233 or 8237, I might try forcing the use of dmix by
29 default in your ~/.asoundrc to see if it makes a difference:
30
31 pcm.!default {
32 type plug
33 slave.pcm "dmixer"