From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:14:04
1 Patrick Börjesson schreef:
2 > On 05/07/23 18:37, Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>And it seems to me that if there is a bug, it might be a *documentation*
5 >>>>bug (because the other person who mentioned using march=k8 said that
6 >>>>that was the recommendation of the docs, but that seems to no longer be
7 >>>>the case, if people using this flag are regularly receiving compilation
8 >>>>errors).
9 >>>>
10 >>>
11 >>>Documentation bug? Not recommended by the docs any more?
12 >>>You might want to actually try to find information about the subjects
13 >>>you respond to.
14 >>>
15 >>>Straight out of the AMD64 Gentoo Handbook:
16 >>>"AMD64 users who want to use a native 64 bit system should use
17 >>>-march=k8"
18 >>>Combining that cite with the information from the gcc info page, I'm
19 >>>pretty sure it's not a "documentation bug".
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >>Hold on...the -march thing would be an easy mistake to make for those of
25 >>us who don't run AMD processors, and are just trying to help. Afterall,
26 >>the platform keyword is "amd64". And gcc info says that k8, opteron,
27 >>athlon64, and athlon-fx are all equivalent, although I would suggest
28 >>that the non-k8 options are more descriptive.
31 > Of course, but in this case it wasn't an oversight... The poster
32 > explicitly said that using march=k8 seemed to no longer be the
33 > recommendation of the docs. That implies at least _some_ looking into
34 > the subject before posting...
37 If the poster being referred to is me, that wasn't what I meant to say,
38 or rather what I meant to be *understood*-- what I meant was that
39 apparently the Handbook recommends using the k8 flag, but people using
40 that flag seem (and I stress "seem", as I don't follow this issue that
41 closely, naturally) to be running into problems, whereas those using the
42 amd64 flag are not (or at least not the same problems).
43
44 Now, I don't know the truth of the matter, but that would lead me to
45 suspect that there could be *outdated information in the Gentoo
46 documentation* (thus, a "documentation bug"), which, if those affected
47 can verify, should perhaps be submitted.
48
49 Sorry for the confusion.
50
51 Holly