From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 07:04:33
1 On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > Doesn't Ghost work with Ext3? What can I do to
4 > > recover my system without
5 > > reinstalling from scratch?
8 > I've had success with #dd if=<partition-to-be-copied>
9 > of=<partition-to-be-copied-to> bs=<varies>
12 Is there a reason why you backup the filesystem along with the data on it? I
13 do only minor backups... but even for anything major I would use a tool like
14 tar or rsync and drop the filesystem metadata entirely.
15
16 Also directly reading from the block device is hazardous unless you umount
17 (or mount as readonly) the filesystem in question. This is because, the
18 filesystem may not keep all the data synced to the disk at all points in
19 time.
20
21 Actually, even the tar/rsync method may lead to inconsistent files if the
22 files are backed up while they are still in active use. However, this is
23 potentially less damaging than having invalid filesystem metadata backed up
24 because the filesystem was not in sync. If you *have to* backup an always
25 active system, I would first create a snapshot and then back up the
26 snapshot. That ofcourse requires a more involved disk setup using LVM.
27
28 _r