From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:37:53
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 20, 2018 11:45:29 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >
6 > On Thursday, 20 December 2018 08:12:43 GMT Dale wrote:
7 >
8 > Thanks for the help. When I boot next time, maybe it will
9 > log the error and I can see what is going on.
10 >
11 > You could also try CTRL-S to pause the screen update and
12 > CTRL-Q to let it continue.
16 > I did try page up, up arrow and such.  I was trying to get at least one
17 > or two keywords to look into.  Thing is, it is so fast. My old 4 core
18 > booted pretty quick but this new 8 core with faster clock speeds is
19 > seriously fast.  It goes from the kernel starting to load to sddm
20 > starting in seconds.  I'm not sure if the extra memory helps at that
21 > point or not but the faster and extra cores sure does.  I'll try to
22 > remember that ctrl s.  I just better have my fingers ready.  lol
23 >
24 > If I had a sdd drive for the OS to be on, I guess it would be even
25 > faster.  vvrrrmmmmm vvvrrrmmmmm!!!!
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-)  :-)
32 > Next upgrade idea:
33 > - mainboard with NVME slot
34 > - NVME drive for your OS.
35 >
36 > Your CPU and memory will be the next bottleneck :)
39 > --
40 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
43 Yea.  I looked into rebuilding from scratch, less the case of course.
44 I'm just not sure it would be worth the speed increase.  The biggest
45 things I needed, more drive space and more memory.  The CPU was just on
46 sale.  Hard to beat $75.00 for a 8 core CPU running at over 4GHz.  Right
47 now, it's plenty fast.  I may consider it after I do some other things
48 tho.  I plan to do a emerge -e world before to long.  I wanted to let
49 the new CPU compound sort of get set in.
50
51 I might add, the new video card is way overpowered for what I do.  LOL
52 Most of the time, it maxes out at about 10% of its power and less than
53 10% for memory usage.  I really can't tell much difference from my old
54 220 to this new 650 series.  The biggest difference, the 650 runs much
55 cooler.  I just hope it doesn't get bored and go to sleep.  ;-)  Oh,
56 when I run glxgears at full screen, it still only goes to about 60%.  It
57 warms up a little but not a whole lot.
58
59 Now to go see what a NVME drive is.  I don't recall ever hearing of
60 those.  Sounds interesting.
61
62 Dale
63