From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scanner Trouble
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:45
1 On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 22:45 -0400, C. Beamer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > When I first installed Gentoo on my main machine about a month ago, my
5 > scanner was working just fine. I don't use it that much, but today when
6 > I went to use it (using xsane), I got a message that no devices were found.
7 >
8 > I checked dmesg and as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be
9 > anything wrong.
10 >
11 > The only thing that I did that might have affected it (although it
12 > doesn't seem to have affected anything else) is:
13 >
14 > emerge --update --deep mozilla-firefox (because there was an updated
15 > Firefox package)
16 >
17 > When I did this, emerge updated 26 packages including some x packages,
18 > so I don't know if this is what is causing the problem.
19 >
20 > The scanner works in Window - I tested it to be sure that it wasn't a
21 > scanner problem.
22 >
23 > Additionally, I used to have this problem when I ran FC4 all the time.
24 > I have a USB printer, zip drive and game pad all connected to my system
25 > and all work fine. The scanner is USB as well and in FC4, I used to
26 > always have to remove the usb cable and plug it back in again and then I
27 > could get xsane to recognize the scanner. However, I tried that and had
28 > no luck.
29 >
30 > Any ideas?
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 >
34 > Colleen
35
36 Start at the beginning :-)
37
38 what is the output of
39
40 lsusb
41
42 If you run
43
44 watch --interval=1 lsusb
45
46 can you see the scanner being plugged and unplugged
47
48 (you may need to run these commands as root)
49
50 Have you checked your /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to make sure that the backend
51 that you need is not commented out by a rogue update?
52
53 what is the output of
54
55 scanimage -L
56
57 and
58
59 sane-find-scanner
60
61 can root use the scanner? What are the permissions on the scanner
62 device? (I assume that the user wanting to use it has to be in the
63 scanner group? sane-backends makes the scanner group so I assume thats
64 what it is for.)
65
66 what modules get loaded for the scanner? (lsmod)
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list