From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Settings for Fan
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 01:23:29
1 On 5/30/06, JC Denton <jcdentonmail@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Where can I configure my fan? I have a Thinkpad R40 and the fan starts
5 > realy often. The thing is, the air coming out of the notebook is almost
6 > cold! Also the fan runs always in the highest mode. But is had at least 2
7 > modes. I have all the acpi stuff enabled in the kernel but no bios-support.
8 >
9 > Can I change the temperature values (I know it is some risk ;-) )?
10 >
11 > Can I set the fan speed somewhere?
12
13 Is your fan controlled by ACPI? Do you have the ACPI fan driver
14 built? If both are true, you should get some files in /proc/acpi/fan
15 that may allow you to manually control the fan.
16
17 You might also see if 'cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/cooling_mode' or
18 'cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/trip_points' report anything
19 interesting.
20
21 Unfortunately the fan in my Dell is controlled by the hardware or
22 BIOS, so I can't be of a lot of help here.
23
24 -Richard
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list