From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] smime files opened with kmail
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:06:27
1 Hi All,
2
3 I used to be able to decrypt, open and read smime files (pkcs7) with
4 Kmail 3.5, but with Kmail 4.3 this is not working as expected. This
5 is how it used to be:
6
7 I would right click on the smime.p7m file and select open with kmail,
8 which would open a new blank mail message with the smime.p7m file
9 shown as an attachment. I would then save the message as draft and
10 thereafter open it in kmail. The encrypted smime part would be
11 readable as an inline attachment in the draft message after I entered
12 my decryption passphrase.
13
14 I have the same kmail settings with KDE4.3, but the draft message
15 always shows the smime.p7m file as an icon, not inline. Changing the
16 preferences in kmail to view attachments as 'smart' or 'inline' makes
17 no difference. When I download the smime message from the mail server
18 with kmail I can decrypt it and read it without a problem - but that's
19 the only way I can read it.
20
21 Trying to decrypt the message directly using Kleopatra gets me an
22 ascii piece of text (I assume it is mime'd(?) and I can't read it).
23
24 Is there some configuration I need to apply to be able to read the
25 smime.p7m attachment in kmail, or failing that is there a manual way
26 of decrypting and reading a SSL signed and encrypted message?
27
28 PS. I've also tried using openssl smime -decrypt and it fails with
29 some indecipherable errors.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick