From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to switch from rust to rust-bin?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 21:25:26
1 On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 16:12:38 -0500, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2
3 > > It seems odd that when there's multiple ways to satisfy a
4 > > virtual there's now way to "configure" which one you want for when
5 > > that virtual get's pulled in. Maybe I just haven't run into it often
6 > > enough...
7 >
8 > I thought about this myself too. I don't think there's any consistency
9 > to it either. For example, virtual/jdk will pull in icedtea-bin,
10 > whereas virtual/rust pulls in dev-lang/rust. It isn't a big deal (to
11 > me) but I also don't fully understand the motivation for all the
12 > decisions.
13 >
14 > Maybe a thought for a future portage feature setting for virtual
15 > ebuilds, like --prefer-binary-virtuals versus --prefer-nonbinary-
16 > virtuals or something? Just spitballing.
17
18 I was thinking along similar lines, or maybe with a prefer-bin USE flag.
19
20 Alternatively, have portage spit out a warning if a virtual is required
21 and none of its alternatives are installed, but that would spoil running
22 portage non-interactively.
23
24 Another option would be for each virtual have have a set of USE flags
25 corresponding to its choices, but that could get very messy very quickly.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger, please.