From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'firmware_install' won't on 4.14.7-gentoo
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:54:37
1 On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:51:04 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 16:03:02 GMT Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> > You are quite right, there is no firmware_install in the 4.14.7 release.
7 >> > What does this mean? How are we meant to install firmware now?
8 >>
9 >> I believe all firmware has been removed from the kernel sources.
10 >>
11 >> You should install sys-kernel/linux-firmware, or grab just the files
12 >> you need from the git repo.
13 >>
14 >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
15 >
16 >Thank you all, but I see to have a mental disconnect here:
17 >
18 >I already have sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20170314 installed.
19 >
20 >I have specified in the kernel which blobs I need and /lib/firmware/ as the
21 >path for the kernel to find any firmware it may need.
22 >
23 >I used to run make firmware_install and the kernel was able to load whatever
24 >firmware I had specified so that CPU/GPU can function properly at boot time.
25 >
26 >With 4.14.7 I (can) no longer do this;
27
28 Since I fully encrypt my drives and therefore using an EFI-stub kernel
29 with an embedded initramfs, I use genkernel-next and different scripts
30 to build my kernels. It can be tricky and feels like a tool-chain but
31 also works for me.
34 >AND
35 >
36 >the newly compiled kernel does not load at boot time any of the needed
37 >firmware.
38 >
39 >What step am I missing to arrive at a bootable kernel with all necessary
40 >firmware?
41
42 Assuming your specified blobs are all available and required kernel
43 options like CONFIG_MICROCODE and CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL [1] are proper
44 set, I’m not sure it makes any difference but the default is:
45
46 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
47
48 without the appended forward slash.
51 [1] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel_microcode>
55 Regards,