From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Encrypting removable media
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:21
1 I have a bit of chicken-and-egg problem trying to get encrypted
2 removable devices to work as "normal" as possible.
3 Using Loop-AES and a GPG-encrypted key I had no problems encrypting my
4 external FW drive, but to pass all the options to losetup without
5 entering them by hand every time, I need an fstab entry. The drive shows
6 up as /dev/sda, but putting /dev/sda1 there is no good as it would try
7 to use Loop-AES on *every* external drive. So far I could just use
8 volume labels in my fstab to distinguish any number of drives---well, I
9 used to until hald/dbus made that automatic. But now there are no labels
10 any more as they get encrypted as well.
11 Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet? I could imagine some
12 plugin for the hotplug system that checks /proc/scsi/scsi for a certain
13 model before mounting. Not the cleanest solution either but as my
14 external drives are different models it would work for me. I don't have
15 much of a clue about the hotplug system though...
16
17 regards
18 Matthias
19 --
20 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
21 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665