From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XSESSION="Xsession" doesn't work!
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:34:35
1 On Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I'm fairly experienced with Linux and have been using Gentoo for over
5 > 3 years, but mostly I only use it on headless servers, so I'm afraid
6 > I don't know much about GUI stuff.
7 >
8 > I've just installed Gentoo on my PS3, which I want to use mostly for
9 > playing DVDs at the moment (and as a MythTV frontend eventually). My
10 > expectations when running X (let's say adding /etc/init.d/xdm to the
11 > default runlevel) are that I'm presented with a login prompt, there
12 > should be a mouse cursor & stuff and when I log in I should be
13 > presented with a terminal window in which I can type my command to
14 > run `mplayer` or whatever.
15 >
16 > I'd expect shortly to get mplayer or vlc or something running
17 > automatically when the system completes booting-up - this is what
18 > MythTV users typically do so that their system behaves more like a TV-
19 > appliance than a Linux machine - but I'd like to skip that for the
20 > moment whilst I log in as my own user, play with different media
21 > players & work out which one suits me best.
22 >
23 > Gentoo for the PS3 is supplied as a LiveCD for chrooting and a stage4
24 > tarball - I've only ever used stage1 (3 or more years ago) and stage3
25 > (more recently) tarballs in the past. This stage4 is quick to set up
26 > and the basics seem to work very well - I can log in at the
27 > framebuffer & surf the internet using elinks :D. This stag4 also
28 > includes fluxbox, which I haven't used before & am not really
29 > interested in but which I haven't uninstalled yet.
30 >
31 > The Gentoo X Server Configuration HOWTO <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/
32 > xorg-config.xml> has much that doesn't seem relevant to me right now,
33 > seeing as the stage comes with both Xorg itself and a suitable
34 > xorg.conf for the PS3 preinstalled, but if I skip to just after code
35 > listing 3.6 it tells me how the value of XSESSION is read from /etc/
36 > rc.conf
37 >
38 > Reading /etc/rc.conf I find:
39 > # Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps
40 > This seem perfect for me. I don't care that it's described elsewhere
41 > as ugly - I think this is twm, Xorg's own default window-manager? -
42 > but if it pops open a terminal window when I log in, and maybe xclock
43 > then I'm good to go.
44 >
45 > What confuses me is that this doesn't work. It works perfectly if I set:
46 > XSESSION="fluxbox"
47 > - I get the fluxbox menubar at the bottom of the screen and I can
48 > open terminal windows & stuff
49 > but not when I set
50 > XSESSION="Xsession"
51 >
52 > Diagnostics I can think of:
53 > $ grep ^X /etc/rc.conf
54 > XSESSION="Xsession"
55 > $ ls -l /etc/X11/Sessions/
56 > total 8
57 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2187 Jun 10 19:31 Xsession
58 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22 Jun 10 19:50 fluxbox
59 > $ grep DISPLAYMANAGER /etc/conf.d/xdm
60 > DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
61 >
62 > When I log in remotely & run `sudo /etc/init.d/xdm start` I get a
63 > simple login window with an X11-type logo on the right-hand side.
64 > Once I use the connected keyboard & mouse - which work perfectly - to
65 > enter my user & password I see a window titled "Session Menu"; it
66 > appears to have a kind of text box in which is displayed
67 > "chooseSessionListWidget" - all I can choose is the "Failsafe /
68 > Default" which gives me a grey X11 background with the (correct)
69 > chunky black X cursor. No terminals or other windows open and I'm
70 > unable to work out how the heck to start an app. When I `sudo /etc/
71 > init.d/xdm restart` via SSH I again get the login window and this
72 > time the Session Menu says "fail safe" in the "text box" - I now have
73 > extra load session & delete session buttons but they don't do
74 > anything useful.
75 >
76 > I have followed the pointers in the "startx no longer gives gnome"
77 > thread <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/185659> but
78 > no joy. If, instead of starting `/etc/init.d/xdm`, I log in at the
79 > framebuffer prompt and type ` XSESSION="Xsession" startx` I again get
80 > the "Session Menu" window and the X cursor, but this time a black
81 > background behind that widow and a _black_ screen when I log in.
82 >
83 > There's no .xsession stuff in my home directory - I even deleted
84 > ~/.*to be paranoid-sure of this. Whups, there goes my bash history!!
85 > None of the log files show anything useful or relevant - I've even
86 > run `watch -n 0.3 ls -lt /var/log/` and the only ones that change are
87 > xdm.log, Xorg.0.log and the weird binary file wtmp. They all show X
88 > starting swimingly but not the sesssion stuff. I don't know what else
89 > to say.
90 >
91 > What's weird is that I _did_ see the expected terminal windows
92 > opening yesterday, but I can't reproduce them now. The behaviour
93 > seemed to be correct when I ran `startx` but not when I added xdm to
94 > the default runlevel & started it that way. But now it doesn't work
95 > at all.
96 >
97 > I've attached the actual /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession file, but I'm
98 > sure this is unchanged - I'm sure it's exactly as shipped by Gentoo
99 > by default. I've thought about replacing that with a simple `echo
100 > "hello world`", but I'm not sure how to do that within the X11
101 > environment.
102 >
103 > Many thanks indeed for the time you've taken reading this, and for
104 > your patience and in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer,
105 >
106 > Stroller.
107
108 say, how many times have you sent this mail? I count seven so far.
109
110 One mail would have been enough!
111 --
112 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list