From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox VMs not running under 3.0.0-gentoo
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 02:23:41
1 On 07/24/11 22:02, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Wagener<stelf@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:09:13 -0700
4 >> Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>> I just got around to trying my Virtualbox VMs under the new 3.0.0
8 >>> kernel and they aren't working. It says vboxdrv is not set up. I drop
9 >>> back to 2.6.39 and they run fine. Please note I really mean only the
10 >>> VMs won't start. The Vbox GUI runs fine but then cannot start the VMs.
11 >>>
12 >>> I used make oldconfig to get 3.0.0 working so maybe that caused the
13 >>> problem but I don't yet see what's wrong looking at the config files.
14 >>>
15 >>> Most likely this is some problem caused by the new numbering but I
16 >>> Googled around looking for a solution and didn't find one. Has anyone
17 >>> else here checked Virtualbox under the new kernel?
18 >>>
19 >>> Note that VMWare seems to be running fine under 3.0.0, only
20 >>> Virtualbox is failing.
21 >>>
22 >>> Thanks,
23 >>> Mark
24 >>>
25 >> You know that these Modules have to be compiled against the running
26 >> kernel? A re-emerge should do:
27 >>
28 >> emerge -1av virtualbox-modules
29 >>
30 >> Almost forgot: youd also have to reload these modules via modprobe (or
31 >> rebooting *hides*)
34 > Actually, I think I just figured it out. The new way of loading
35 > modules re Baselayout/OpenRC I think requires that we tell it what
36 > kernel version we're loading the modules for. I'm on the wrong machine
37 > right now but this machine has this sort of stuff in
38 > /etc/conf.d/modules:
39 >
40 > k2 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/modules
41 > # You can define a list modules for a specific kernel version,
42 > # a released kernel version, a main kernel version or just a list.
43 > #modules_2_6_23_gentoo_r5="ieee1394 ohci1394"
44 > #modules_2_6_23="tun ieee1394"
45 > #modules_2_6="tun"
46 > #modules="ohci1394"
47 >
48 > I'm guessing I need to modify this file to tell it to load the vbox
49 > modules for 3_0 kernels....
50 >
51 > Would you concur?
52 >
53 > Cheers,
54 > Mark
55 >
56 Yes, I believe that would be your issue. I just handled that when I
57 first moved over to openrc that i just added:
58 modules="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt" without even thinking
59 out/dealing with kernel versions.
60
61 Give it a whirl and see if it works after you reload 'em.