From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: networking and libvirt
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:52:44
1 On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Randy Barlow
2 <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 01/20/2013 12:37 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
7 >> So what is usually recommended and works for this scenario?
8 >
9 > I personally use a bridged interface that allows my VMs to be on the
10 > "physical" network. That works out pretty well. In my use case, it's
11 > the same subnet as the host, but it should be possible to use VLANs to
12 > accomplish having them on a separate subnet.
13
14 There's no requirement that they be on separate layer 2 segments if
15 you want them to be on separate layer 3 subnets.
16
17 Either statically configure the IPs, or:
18
19 For IPv4: Have DHCP grant IPs from different pools based on source MAC
20 or declared hostname.
21
22 For IPv6: Use DHCPv6 rather than SLAAC, and follow the same principles
23 as for DHCP-for-IPv4.
24
25 Sure, giving them separate layer 2 segments helps encapsulation (and
26 may make things easier from an autoconfiguration standpoint,
27 depending), but it's not strictly necessary from a technology point of
28 view.
31 :wq