From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT sphinx] Any users of sphinx here
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 22:53:38
1 I've been looking for a perl based search tool that uses some kind of
2 indexing to index and render searchable my home library of software
3 manual and the like. Quite a few html pages involved, maybe 15-16,000.
4
5 Webglimpse is something I've worked with before and know a bit about
6 but thought I might like to see what else is available.
7
8 Googling lead to a tool called Sphinx that apparently is coupled with
9 a data base tool like mysql. It is advertised as the kind of search
10 tool I'm after and has a perl front-end also available in portage
11 (dev-perl/Sphinx-Search).
12
13 The trouble is I haven't been able to figure out the first thing about
14 using it. The overview, and Introduction, like a lot of such
15 documents fails to give a really basic idea of what the tool does.
16
17 The call it a `full text search engine', but never really say what
18 that means.
19
20 There are 12-15 FEATURES listed, and none appear to describe sensibly
21 what they really do.
22
23 The faq is a string a questions about using sql.. really.
24
25 So far I haven't found a good statement of what the darn thing really
26 does or how to aim it at data.
27
28 The manual is probably great if you already know a lot about using
29 sphinx but very thin for my case.
30
31 I've not even been able to get a rough idea of how to aim the darn
32 thing at the desired (Local lan) web site.
33
34 Or, to show how thin it really is or how dumb I really am, I've been
35 unable to tell if it can even do what I want to do.
36
37 I've posted on a sphinx list on gmane... but it appears to be only
38 moderately active and haven't gotten any replies...
39
40 I hoped some one here may be familiar with sphinx and willing to coach
41 me a bit or at least let me know if it can even do what I want to do.
42
43 Also any other perl based search tools involving indexing and some
44 kind of versatile search query capability.. like regular expressions
45 I'd be interested to know about.