From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:24:17
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:11 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:15:10 -0400, John Covici wrote:
4 >
5 > > Now, the problem is that I am using zfs and will not give it up, and
6 > > the version I have been using 0.8.6 is no longer supported in 5.10
7 > > versions of the kernel. So, I need a newer version of zfs and a
8 > > rescue cd in case I get into trouble.
9 >
10 > It doesn't answer your question, other have done that, but FWIW I went
11 > from ZFS 0.8.4 to 2.0 a year ago and it went without a hitch. Just emerge
12 > the later ZFS packages first, check everything works then update your
13 > kernel.
14
15 Yeah, I'm pretty conservative with zfs upgrades but have had no
16 issues. The one thing I wish is that there were better documentation
17 of grub compatibility. I have a root partition I haven't upgraded the
18 features on because I have no idea whether it would break grub, and
19 you can't reverse this. Sure, I have backups but I really don't want
20 to deal with the hassle of restoring a filesystem over some feature
21 I'd have to google to even know what it does.
24 Rich