From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual problem : how can I unmerge Nano ?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:16:15
1 140429 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:17:08 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.
4 > Deprecated? Really? I must have missed that.
5
6 root:565 ~> emerge -C nano
7 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
8 * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
9 * removing packages.
10 !!! 'app-editors/nano' (virtual/editor) is part of your system profile.
11 !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
12 >>> Waiting 10 seconds before starting...
13 >>> (Control-C to abort)...
14 Press Ctrl-C to Stop in: 10 9^C
15 Exiting on signal 2
16 root:566 ~> emerge -pv --depclean nano
17 Calculating dependencies... done!
18 app-editors/nano-2.3.2 pulled in by:
19 virtual/editor-0 requires app-editors/nano
20
21 I'ld say that means 'deprecated' as much as anything does,
22 ie "in order to be safer" do it in a different but recommended way.
23
24 > Brute force, maybe, but it is the answer.
25 >> The ebuild has a long list of possible editors,
26 >> incl Vim Ed Nano, but nothing singling out Nano,
27 > Except that nano is first in the list and portage takes
28 > the first available dependency as satisfying the virtual.
29
30 Doesn't Portage check whether any of the others are installed ?!
31
32 > Unmerge nano and portage will look at the rest of the list,
33 > be satisfied with vim and not try to re-emerge nano.
34
35 The output above mentions "your system profile".
36 My @system contains virtual/editor , but not app-editors/nano .
37
38 I'ld call this a bug in Portage.
39 Any other comments before I "damage my system" (output above) ?
43 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
44 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
45 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca