From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off topic] Opteron CPU missing chips on the bottom
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:34:09
1 On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/30/2018 09:43 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 13:51:31 GMT Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I purchased a used g34 opteron off of fleabay (sold as working with no
7 >>> mention of this) and I noticed that it is missing some of the bits on
8 >>> the bottom
9 >>
10 >> Do you mean the pins that mate with the socket?
11 >>
12 >>> ... and that most of them are crooked,
13 >>
14 >> Send it back! Don't even touch it. Any attempt to straighten a pin will
15 >> snap
16 >> it off, as like as not.
17 >
18 > Not the pins (which on socket g34 are on the motherboard)
19 >
20 > It is the little IC components on the bottom of the CPU.
23 You should return it, most of those components are decoupling
24 capacitors. Quickly switching power produces high frequency noise that
25 can migrate to other parts of the circuit and cause spurious logic
26 errors.
27
28 It probably plugs in and turns on but I would not accept such a part.
29
30 Cheers,
31 R0b0t1