From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trying to find old kernel ebuild
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:02:51
1 On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:46 AM Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Rich, unfortunately 4.18.20 is the last one that supports the ipts
4 > patch set (surface pro4 touch screen) ... its flaky, bu the earlier ones
5 > are even worse so going to a LT kernel isnt really useful. I hope they
6 > can get a 4.19 or 4.20 patch set up soon, but apparently kernel changes
7 > have made it difficult. 4.19 without touch does work with only minor
8 > problems, but of course with no touch screen.
11 I'd put that in the "you know what you're doing" category - just meant
12 more as advice in general.
13
14 Yeah, I had that headache for a while with amdgpu + zfs. Last
15 longterm didn't support it well, and zfs takes time to catch up with
16 new stable releases. So I was hopping around on stable releases and
17 crossing my fingers a lot until 4.19. Fortunately amdgpu has settled
18 down some - it was tending to panic quite a bit six months ago.
19
20 Once 4.19 has support then you should be set - just stick with that as
21 long as they continue to support it with fixes/etc. Hopefully they'll
22 backport improvements until it is in mainline.
25 Rich