From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux & Motherboard
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:18:27
1 On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Nicola Degl'Innocenti wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows
4 > (that i use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware
5 > compatibility with linux.
6 >
7 > I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT,
8
9 Stay away from NVidia. Good performing cards, but their Linux support is
10 atrocious (and that's being kind to them)
11
12 ATI are not much better but at least they make something of an effort to
13 publish some specs.
14
15 Intell cards are the best supported and the worst performing I'm afraid
16
17 > but i
18 > am very confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only
19 > have asus motherboard so i don't have much choice.
20 > - Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
21 > - Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
22 > - Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
23 > - Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€
24
25 Look further afield. Don't limit yourself to just one shop based on
26 price. The price difference between motherboards isn't that great when
27 compared to the cost of an entire box, and the wrong decision can be
28 very painful in the future
29
30 > Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information
31 > about linux compatibility for those cards?
32 >
33 > The SLI capability is not important as having ethernet or sound
34 > supported on linux.
35
36 Ethernet is not a problem now and has not been for a very long time.
37 Sound is mostly similar.
38
39 Video cards is the big sticking point
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list