From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Emerge server
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:42:24
1 Hello list,
2
3 I'm setting my i5 workstation up to be an emerge host to a new Atom N550 box
4 on the LAN. I've created a 32-bit chroot at /mnt/atom on the i5 box, written
5 an init.d script to mount the Atom's whole file system on /mnt/atom/target
6 over NFS, and set an alias
7 tmerj='emerge --root=/target --jobs=5 --keep-going'
8 in /mnt/atom/etc/profile.d/profile_aliases.sh.
9
10 The Atom box has had nfs-utils installed at an early stage so that the
11 workstation can do all the heavy work. Its /etc/exports file says
12 / 192.168.2.6(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check
13
14 This appears to be working, but for an odd wrinkle (and it's too early to
15 declare success of the whole operation). Some packages, such as MySQL, when
16 I've installed them this way have also been installed in parallel on the
17 host machine. At least, that appeared to be happening because for several
18 packages I had one job emerge " to /target/" and another emerge without that
19 qualification. Yet when I cat /mnt/atom/var/lib/portage/world, it's empty.
20
21 How should I interpret this? Have I missed something in the setup? I'm also
22 unsure of the effect of /proc and /sys being nfs-exported from the Atom, so I
23 think I'll make the export a bit more selective (when gentoo-sources have
24 finished being written to disk - it's been about 20 minutes so far).
25
26 Incidentally, one thing I've noticed is that the final stage of installing
27 gentoo-sources, the writing to disk of all the files, takes many minutes
28 because of the slow 2.5" disk in the Atom box. The rest of the operation, so
29 far, is pleasingly quick - much better than building natively on the Atom.
32 Rgds
33 Peter