From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Machine Cleanup
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:39:29
1 On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:18:44 -0500, Samir Faci wrote:
2
3 > So, I have a gentoo install that's slowly evolved over the past 3
4 > years or so years. It's now so cluttered with packages, it's becoming
5 > ridiculous, especially for a headless server. What I'd like to do is
6 > be able to remove all KDE/Gnome/X/gtk/qt/...etc out of the machine and
7 > not have it break the machine completely.
8
9 After removing the USE flags, you need to run "emerge -uavDN world" to
10 ensure that everything is built without the optional X support. Then run
11 emerge --depclean -p. you could also edit your world file and remove any
12 packages in there that you no longer need, or that are only installed as
13 dependencies of other packages (these shouldn't be there in the first
14 place, but it's easy to forget to use --oneshot at some time).
15
16 > If I start removing packages, then revdep complains about dependencies
17 > and ends pulling back the packages I had removed, same thing with
18 > world. I globally removed all the X related flags I can think of.
19
20 Start removing packages? If you only take pout some of what --depclean
21 wants to remove, then revdep-rebuild is likely to want to reinstate some,
22 because other packages still installed, but on the depclean list, need
23 them. Unlike emerge, revdep-rebuild does not consider your world file or
24 USE flags, but looks at the installed files and what they need, so you
25 must complete depclean before running revdep-rebuild.
26
27 Check the output of merge --depclean -p before removing anything, don't
28 remove anything that looks critical without checking first.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 The box said 'needs Win95 or better' so I bought an Amiga.