From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vim and gvim package split
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 02:03:42
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:02:12PM +0100, Alessandro DE LAURENZIS wrote
2 > I guess this is an already debated topic, but I only found this very
3 > old thread on the subject:
4 >
5 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/4328
6 >
7 > which contains the original communication of the ebuild split and some
8 > discussions and observations that probably are no more applicable.
9 >
10 > I'm absolutely convinced that one of the gentoo strengths is the USE
11 > variable handling compile time options, so I do not see any points to
12 > split packages when not absolutely needed.
13 >
14 > In case of vim-core/vim/gvim (and vim-qt?), I cannot understand
15 > the reason... Are still there advantages in doing so?
16 >
17 > Thanks for your time
18
19 While you're at it, can you ***PLEASE*** get rid of the ewarn message
20
21 > WARN: postinst
22 > Note that the English word lists are no longer installed by
23 > default.
24
25 It's been in there for what seems like forever. I just checked
26 /var/log/portage/elog on the PC hooked up to my TV set. I installed
27 Gentoo on it June 22nd, 2010. The message was in there back then.
28 That's over 3 years!!! Enough already. I go through the messages in
29 /var/portage/elog after every update. It's annoying to have that same
30 old message polluting the logs.
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications