From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ~amd64 - my experience so far...
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:04:40
1 On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Checking if your kit is complete...
5 >> Looks good
6 >> MakeMaker FATAL: prerequisites not found.
7 >>    ExtUtils::Depends not installed
8 >
9 > If part of your transition was upgrading from perl 5.8 to 5.10 you
10 > need to run perl-cleaner like the ewarn says in the perl ebuild. If
11 > you didn't do that yet then maybe that's the cause.
12 >
13 > /usr/sbin/perl-cleaner --all
16 OK, it appears that this was part of the issue. Don't know how I
17 missed the warning other than there were a number of things and it
18 must have been in there somewhere. This allowed me to do emerge -C
19 kde xfce4-meta and get old stuff off. Now emerge -DuN @world is clean
20 with 390 packages currently installed. I cleaned everything out of my
21 user directory just to ensure that any problems aren't caused by old
22 config files. First step behind me.
23
24 Now, at this point I started looking at emerging xfce4-meta again, it
25 failed with messages about rebuilding xorg-server. When I attempted
26 that I got error messages about invalid gcc profiles which led me to
27 discover this problem:
28
29 cruncher ~ # gcc-config -l
30 * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
31
32 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3
33 cruncher ~ # gcc-config 1
34 * Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 ...
35 * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
36
37 * Your gcc has a bug with GCC_SPECS.
38 * Please re-emerge gcc.
39 * http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395
40
41 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... [ ok ]
42
43 * If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
44 * running shell, please remember to do:
45
46 * # source /etc/profile
47
48 cruncher ~ #
49
50 The bug report suggested the above idea but I couldn't set the profile
51 to '1' so I did emerge -1 gcc. Hey, at least it lets me watch 12
52 processor cores max out at 100%. ;-)
53
54 5 minutes later....
55
56 cruncher ~ # gcc-config -l
57 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
58 cruncher ~ #
59
60 Now the profile is set and emerge -DuN xfce4-meta was clean. Progress,
61 I think, but when I try to log in I get logged out automatically with
62 a message to look at the .xession-errors file:
63
64 cruncher mark # cat .xsession-errors
65 /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
66 /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Cannot find Xclients
67 /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: line 203: exec: xterm: not found
68 cruncher mark #
69
70 cruncher mark # eix -I xterm
71 No matches found.
72 cruncher mark # updatedb
73 cruncher mark # slocate xterm | grep bin
74 cruncher mark #
75
76 Unmet dependencies?
77
78 Because I'm paranoid about gcc problems and I need to run some errands
79 I'm going to send this now and start an emerge -e @world. That should
80 finish up in about 90 minutes I think (I'll time it for fun) and I'll
81 try again after that.
82
83 Thanks,
84 Mark