From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Activities
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:35:54
1 On Sunday 28 December 2014 09:19:22 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > What you can do is make Activities go away and never impinge on your
4 > life, that's what I do. I've had KDE here for years and like you never
5 > grokked what it even is when it first hit early in 4.x. I'm a grumpy old
6 > far, I like my 6 virtual desktops in 2 rows of three, I like to launch
7 > the apps myself I known I'm going to use now, and I like global session
8 > management for apps I always use all the time (like Konsole). I don't
9 > like Activities.
10 >
11 > I made them go away and have been using the same KDE config ever since
12 > quite happily. IIRC all it really took was to remove the icon[1] from
13 > the panel, and maybe disable some keyboard shortcuts. Activities hasn't
14 > appeared here for years now, I'd forgotten all about them till this
15 > thread showed up :-)
16 >
17 > Anyway, hope this helps
18 >
19 > [1] The icon is the one with three small overlapping circles IIRC
20
21 Hmm. I can't see a way to remove that icon - only the whole panel, which
22 seems like a bad idea. This link shows a painless way to discover what
23 happens if you do that:
24
25 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/kde-running-without-plasma-desktop-activities-disabled-848517/
26
27 In short, an empty, black desktop. No panel, no way of starting a program
28 other than by name with KRunner.
29
30 I did find some keyboard short-cuts though, under Plasma Desktop Shell in
31 Global Keyboard Shortcuts, which is under Shortcuts and Gestures in System
32 Settings. I removed all short-cuts that had Activities in the name.
33
34 It seems likely that accidentally hitting one of those short-cuts is the
35 cause of much of the woe over Activities.
36
37 So yes, Alan, you did help by setting me off again, but no you didn't
38 otherwise :-)
41 Rgds
42 Peter.