From: Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage nfs permissions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:01:37
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 April 2008, Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:03 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm trying to set up the portage directory to be hosted over nfs.
7 >>> Everything is working great but I would like to increase the
8 >>> security a
9 >>> little. I was wondering if there's an easy way to restrict
10 >>> 'emerge --sync' to only work on the server, while still letting
11 >>> all the nfs client machines download sources and emerge packages.
12 >> Have clients only mount portage read-only and put distfiles in
13 >> another fs and make it read-write.
14 >
15 > Yes, this should work. I have got just one question: How does
16 > disabling "emerge --sync" from NFS clients improve security?
17 >
18 > Uwe
21 I have a number of overlay ebuilds that I need in place that override
22 specific versions of packages, and I don't want various users to 'emerge
23 --sync' too often and break things by installing a non-patched package
24 that has an old overlay. This way I can also keep all the clients at
25 the same revs of everything and avoid various bugs with things like
26 pam/vmware/kernels/graphics drivers/etc... Plus there's the whole
27 bandwidth saving issue.
28
29 The biggest reason is so someone doesn't get a newer pam_usb or pam_ldap
30 than the overlay versions and then can't login anymore.
31
32 Chris Frederick
33 --
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list