From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emacs - (I think [the]) Fonts [are] Broken
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:29:21
1 On Saturday 09 September 2006 04:05, darren kirby wrote:
2 > quoth the Lord Sauron:
3 > <snip>
4 >
5 > > What should I do to fix Emacs? I hear it's a very powerful and
6 > > useful editor, and I would like to learn to use it (vi and/or its
7 > > many variants is next on my list, so no emacs vs. vi wars please)
8 > > so any assistance would be very helpful.
9 >
10 > This is but a taste of the pain and suffering you will experience
11 > when you use emacs. Just use vim already ;)
12 >
13 > Seriously though...I am not familiar with emacs but I think your
14 > problem may be solved in one of two ways
15 >
16 > 1. Configure emacs to use us-ascii as the default charset (no idea
17 > how). 2. Configure your console to use a unicode charset (see [1])
18 >
19 > Just taking a shot in the dark here...
20
21 Much more confused than before. I get why I'd want to use unicode, but
22 the instructions on how to do that were outdated or for a setup other
23 than mine and they threw me off real quickly.
24
25 I also spent some time looking through the Gentoo Wiki and found that
26 there's a grand total of one article about emacs. Not much help.
27
28 I'll keep trying though.
31 http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/