From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IGMP, what is this?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:17:15
1 Patric Schmitz wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 06:50:04 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> I noticed a little modem activity while I was idle. I wasn't sure
9 >> what it was so I used wireshark to capture and exported it. I did a
10 >> google search and even read the wikipedia thing but I'm still not
11 >> sure what to make of this. Here is what I got from wireshark:
12 >>
13 >> <<< SNOP >>
14 >>
15 >> Ideas? Thanks
18 > Hmm it looks like an IGMP multicast group membership
19 > query. I have seen the (SAP) service discovery function of VLC
20 > broadcasting those (or something similar, i might be mixing up things
21 > here).
22 >
23 > On http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/igmp.htm i found:
24 >
25 > "0x11 Group Membership Query, general or group-specific. General
26 > Query is used to learn which groups have members on an attached
27 > network. Group-Specific Query is used to learn if a particular group
28 > has any members on an attached network. These two messages are
29 > differentiated by the Group Address."
30 >
31 > I hope this is of any help,
32 > Patric
37 I was trying to figure out if someone was snooping in on my connection
38 or something. I got a new ISP and I sort of think it is something their
39 network does. Since I do my banking and credit card on this thing, I
40 was just wanting to make sure I was safe to do that. I know they are
41 encrypted but still want to make sure.
42
43 Dale
44