From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge sets syntax (@world vs. world)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:54:40
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > The portage man page has unfortunately also used the word "set" for a
3 > different reason. Portage has always had a concept of "world" (not
4 > @world) and "system" (not @system) which were really "just a bunch of
5 > stuff that happens to pop out of portage because it's hard-coded that
6 > way".
7
8 This discussion is surprising to me, because I've been using @world in
9 my updates for a little while, but I don't have 2.2:
10
11 $ equery list portage
12 * Searching for portage ...
13 [IP-] [ ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.11.31:0
14
15 I performed a diff on the output of emerge -pvDuN world and @world, and
16 they were the same.
17
18 I even got an error about some required use flags when I ran emerge with
19 "world" that referenced @world:
20
21 The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
22 #required by app-emulation/virt-manager-0.9.4[spice], required by
23 @selected, required by @world (argument)
26 R